Updated: Apr 11, 2021
One pot wholesome protein packed Khichadi, made with rice, quinoa and moong dals is so delicious and comforting.
1⁄4 cup rice
1⁄4 cup quinoa
1/8 cup yellow split dal
1/8 cup moong split dal
1 Tablespoon Ghee or oil
2 of each cardamom and cloves
1-2 inch cinnamon sticks
1 small onion sliced
1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
1 garlic clove thinly sliced
1⁄2 inch ginger thinly sliced
1⁄2 teaspoon chopped green chili (optional)
3⁄4 cup or handful baby spinach or Kale
3⁄4 cup water (enough to cover rice and dhal)
Note: You can add any fresh or frozen vegetables
1. Rinse quinoa, rice, and both dal's in a bowl till the water is not so white and foggy. Drain all the water out and set aside.
2. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker; add cardamom, clove and cinnamon stick until it sizzles 2 mins.
3. Add garlic, ginger and green chili sauté add onions salt and turmeric and cook for 3 mins or until onions are soft.
4. Add baby spinach or kale sauté until wilted, add the rice and dal's add water into the cooker
till all vegetables and rice are covered, about 1⁄2 cups.
5. Let the pressure cooker build pressure up to 3-4 whistles.
6.Turn of the heat, release air/steam from the cooker and open slowly to see if quinoa/rice and are cooked.
Serve with plain yogurt or pickles and papadum, enjoy this delicious meal.