Updated: Feb 6, 2021
Black chickpeas slow cooked in a sweet and tangy gravy with aromatic spices
1⁄2 cup Kala channa soaked overnight or 8hrs
1 Large onion finely chopped
1 Teaspoon each ginger and garlic
1⁄4 Teaspoon Thai green chili
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 Large tomato chopped finely
1 Tablespoon Jaggery or brown sugar
1 1⁄2 Teaspoons salt
3⁄4 Teaspoon turmeric
1⁄2 Teaspoon paprika chili
1 1⁄2 Teaspoon coriander/cumin powder
1 Teaspoon Garam masala
1 Tablespoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek herb)
1 Tablespoon fresh coriander leaves chopped
2-3 Tablespoons oil
1 Dried red chilies
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1⁄2 Teaspoon Hing (asafoetida)
1. First cook the soaked channa dal in a pressure cooker, for about 10 whistles until soft. Or boil in a pot of water on medium heat for 40-50mins or until soft. Set aside and reserve the water.
2. Heat a large pot add oil then dried chilies and mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds pop, add hing.
3. Next add onions, salt, garlic, ginger and green chilies. Let this cook for 10mins until onions are slightly browned.
4. Next add all the spices tomato paste and tomatoes cook for 15mins. Once the tomatoes are cooked add channa dal 1⁄2 cup water and cook for 15mins.
5. Finally add fresh chopped coriander and Kasoori methi dried Fenugreek.
Serve hot with puri, chapattis or rice.